Skype today announced the official launch of Skype Connect 1.0 (formerly Skype for SIP). Previously available in beta, Skype Connect delivers a business solution that enables IP-enabled private branch exchange (PBX) or Unified Communications (UC) systems to connect to Skype.
By using Skype Connect, businesses can now:
* Make outbound calls from desktop phones to landlines and mobiles worldwide billed at Skype’s standard per-minute calling rates
* Receive inbound calls from Skype connected users worldwide by placing Skype’s Click & Call buttons on their Web sites
* Receive calls from landlines or mobile phones in the corporate PBX using Skype’s online numbers that have been purchased separately
* Manage Skype calls using existing PBX or UC systems’ features such as call routing, automatic call distribution, conferencing, auto-attendant, voicemail, call recording and logging
“Since its inception, Skype has been used by many businesses wanting to reduce communications costs. In fact, based on internal research, in the first quarter of 2010, approximately 37% of Skype users reported that they use Skype for some business or business-related purposes” said David Gurlé, VP and general manager of Skype for Business. “Our team’s goal is to empower businesses of all sizes and types with rich communications tools to unleash their productivity, while reducing their telecommunications costs. Following Skype Manager’s launch in May, we are very proud to add Skype Connect to our list of specially designed enterprise solutions. Skype Connect seeks to enable our customers to reduce their phone bills, while protecting their investment in existing telecommunications equipment”
Since the beta availability of Skype Connect, the following milestones have been accomplished:
* Skype Connect already has over 2,400 active global customers
* Skype Connect is now certified to work with PBX and UC products from Avaya, Cisco, SIPfoundry, ShoreTel and other OEMs
* Skype Connect also works with older TDM PBXs or Key Systems which can now add Skype calling capabilities through third-party IP gateways from AudioCodes, Grandstream and VoSKY
* Skype Manager, a simple web-based tool, was launched to allow IT managers to set-up Skype Connect and control Skype usage in a company
* New dedicated customer support, including real-time chat, is now available for Skype Connect customers and Skype Manager administrators directly through Skype Manager
* VARs and system integrators have been enrolled in our new Skype Channel Partner Program. We will share more details on this program soon.
Companies using Skype Connect are charged a monthly channel fee of €4.95 / $6.95 per line. This is based on the number of concurrent calls being made or received. Each channel allows for one inbound or one outbound call at any given time. Calls to landlines and mobiles made using Skype Connect are billed at Skype’s standard calling rates worldwide. See here for Skype Connect pricing details.
To find out more information about Skype Connect, visit us here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/business/sip/get-it-now